How to Become a Major?
- Apply to IU; choose Philosophy as your intended major. Most admitted students begin their studies in the University Division, where they complete requirements for entrance into the College. Incoming freshmen with records of academic excellence and a demonstrated commitment to studies in the arts, humanities, languages, mathematics, sciences, and social sciences may be invited to apply for College Direct Admission.
- Are you thinking about transferring to IUB? Please refer to the Transfer student information on Admissions homepage.
- Are you visiting the campus and like to meet with the Philosophy advisor? Please call the main office at 812-855-9503, Monday-Friday, 8-12pm, 1-5pm to schedule a meeting.
Current IUB students
- When students in the University Division have satisfied the entry requirements (see below), they will enter the major department listed on their record *. To declare or change their intended major, students should see their advisor in the University Division. To declare Philosophy as a major, please call the main office at 812-855-9503, Monday-Friday, 8-12pm, 1-5pm, to schedule an advising appointment with a Philosophy academic advisor.
- 26 credit hours of course work that can count toward a degree in the College
- A minimum cumulative College of Arts and Sciences grade point average of 2.000
- Completion of the English composition requirement
* Students without majors (Exploratory) can only enter the College if they have 55 or fewer hours on their transcript. More»